This was not exactly my best weekend in recent memory. Here is a "brief" timeline of what went on:
Friday night: We had 2 games here on campus (JV and Varsity). Both teams lost, and the Varsity team played pretty poorly. All of that yelling and shuffling players in and out looking for a "better" combination of players is physically and mentally draining. Of course I was on duty, so I had to stay up until about midnight to make sure the 'angels' were all in the dorm and in bed by curfew.
Saturday: First day of WiWo, so I woke up and took a shower and took a looong look at the thing in the mirror in front of me. Then I stepped on the scale (3 times just to confirm it wasn't broken). So I tried to eat healthy all day, and watched some TV.
That evening I was chaperoning 20+ students at a multi-school dance, and was really looking forward to it. At 6:30 I left on the big yellow school bus to the dance in Cambridge just blocks from Harvard University. While you might hear the name "Harvard" and think to yourself "Oh WOW, Harvard. That area must be so nice with the historic red brick buildings with the white trim and all of the history...", let me tell you that it is not all that nice. Particularly the area of the Cambridge Boys and Girls Club. Just a few blocks from the center of Harvard's campus are the Cambridge Housing Projects, and across the street from them is the B&G Club.
The dance got crowded quickly, and of the 300-400 students inside the building, about 82.7% of them were African-American or Hispanic-American. I mention that fact because the music sounded like it was the same song played continuously for 3+ hours. Apparently it was a "Great mix" of music, but I couldn't tell.
I could get into quite a bit of detail about the dance itself, but I'll save it for now. I will tell you that they had to end the dance an hour early, and as we were loading back onto the school bus, the last image our students saw was eight (8) police officers and their squad cars AND a paddy wagon, arresting 3 students who had been at the dance. We don't know what for, but the rumors ranged from a stabbing to a drug deal, to broken windows at the club.
Another late night by the time all of the kids got home and into bed, it was almost 1am.
Sunday:
The Eagles won, but not easily. = Good for me
The Patriots won, easily. = Bad for me
I was also responsible for supervising study hall from 6:45 to 8:45 last night. I should let you know that, by this time of the school year, the only kids in study hall are the ones who are not on the Honor Roll, so their academic motivation is less than an "A+ effort". As you can assume then, the study hall that occurs at the end of a weekend filled with big games and even bigger dances is not very productive. Socially speaking, there is a LOT to catch up on and even more to speculate on and prepare for, and what better place to do all of this than study hall. Margo was kind enough to give me a 10 minute break so I could watchthe end of the game, and even SHE had to tell the kids to be quiet on more than one occassion...in 10 minutes!
The biggest event of the study hall was when I took two pills away from a girl in my dorm. The school does not allow students to self-medicate in any way, and even thoguh she only had 2 Aleve, I had to take them, and when I found out who had the big bottle of them, I took the bottle as well. WELL from the tears and the attitude and the reactions I got the rest of the night you would have thought I released a murderer back into society, intentionally stepped on someone's kitten, and slapped the girls' grandmother, because they were furious with me. HOW DARE I ENFORCE ANY SCHOOL RULES THAT INTERFERE WITH THEIR LIVES?!
Eventually (12:00am) the dorm quieted down to a satisfactory level, and I was able to get into bed, but 7:30 still arrived quickly. Not to mention the fact that I confiscated 2 cell phones during study hall, and both had their alarms set for the middle of the night. At 4am one of the phones' alarm went off, and then at 4:40 the other one rang and woke us up.
With all of this training, I think that as long as Margo and I don't have 13-18 kids, we should do a fine job as parents. Our kids will not like us some times, but we'll be fine. Now I just have to convice Margo to not have 13-18 kids.
1 comment:
One observation... the player asked the coach "What defense are we playing?" and you confused him with facts. 2-3 zone. Your response should have been "I don't know. I haven't seen anyone play any defense YET." And about the music... do you expect all dances to feature Country Music"?
This was posted by D.O.D.
Post a Comment