Sunday, January 28, 2007

No Deal!!

This is just a short update to tell you about my exciting Saturday morning (sense the sarcasm?).
The TV show "Deal or No Deal" was holding an open casting call in Boston at a large convention center on Saturday morning. The Imbornones believed I'd be the perfect person to be on the show, so they convinced me to go check it out. Here is a rundown of the days events:

5:15am - Alarm goes off so I wake up and get showered and dressed.
6:00am - I leave campus in 8 degree weather while it is still dark out.
6:30am - Arrive at the convention center, park the car, and head inside. I didn't see a line, so I figured I had gotten there early enough to be one of the first people. At this point I'll tell you that the "official" start time was 10:00am, so I assumed there would be 50-100 people waiting in line. I was wrong.
6:35am - Walk into convention center to see about 1300 people waiting in a large line.
6:36am - A set of sisters we know (Amy and Lorri) walk in and join me on line.I knew they were planning on going, and if they had not shown up, I would have left by 7:00.
7:15am - The line FINALLY moves.....about 22 inches, no exaggeration.
7:15-10:00am - The line, which grew to 3000-4000+ people, moves along slower than my weight loss as we inch toward the "Magical Doors". We were referring to them as the magical doors, because every time they would open, about 150-200 people would scream and rush from the front of our long line through the doors. They would never come back out the doorway though??
10:00am(ish) - We are finally at the front of the line and Lorri, who is 7 1/2 months pregnant has to leave for the bathroom. Oh No! What would happen if the doors opened and Lorri was not here for the rush inside? Fortunately, she made it back in time just as they dropped the velvet rope and we hustled inside to what we thought was "The Promised Land". We were wrong.
10:01am - We run into a large staircase jammed with humanity just standing and waiting. We resumed our positions on the cold floor and moved up step-by-step until we could see the top of the staircase and our final destination --- FAME and FORTUNE!
11:00am - We finally get past another velvet rope, and are herded into a grand ballroom where we were sure we would then meet someone famous and have our time to shine...We were wrong.
11:01am - Wide eyed, excited and hopeful we walked into the Harborview Ballroom and saw SEVERAL HUNDRED PEOPLE WAITING IN LINE! No wonder they never went back through the Magical Doors because they were not done yet.
11:02-11:50am - More waiting in lines. At least this one snaked back and forth like an amusement park ride.
11:50(ish) - We finally got into our group of 10 people, and waited to head into the other half of the Ballroom for our shot at stardom.
11:56am - We got into the room.
11:56::30 - We left the room and the fun was over. That's right, 30 SECONDS! They actually told us as we lined up around the table, "You will have 30 seconds to tell us about yourself and impress us ennough to send you on to the next line. If we like you we will call you, but if you are not right for this show, thank you, but you knew that not everyone could make it through." So I gave my 30 seconds and tried to smile and be witty...NEXT!! Amy and Lorri did not have any more luck than I did, so the three of us walked out tired and frustrated.

So almost 6 hours of waiting for 30 seconds of talking--which I didn't even get to use all of mine--just to be directed out some dark narrow emergency exit doorway down to the street. But at least I can say I did it. Would I do it again? Not for that show, but maybe for some show.

Thanks to Amy and Lorri for keeping me company, and don't worry Lorri, your chance to be on TV is still coming. Maybe COPS will film in Norwood someday, does that count?

P.S.- I have some video footage of the line at different points of the day, I'll send them along later.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yo!! Ralph. You better go back... I already spent my share of the $$$ you were going to win. You can't quit now. My credit report is about to take a big hit. Tell Howie it's for me.